Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Unique Stallions


You can't make this stuff up.  Who would have thought that the hamlet of Placita, NM, located near the village of Hatch, once contained the Unique Stallions Dance Hall?

I have always been a stranger in a strange land, and in my restless travels I often take pictures of this strange world we find ourselves in.  I discovered the Unique Stallions Dance Hall in 1987 or 88, while I was poking around the Hatch area looking for locations for my "low budget video."



 
What a splendid juxtaposition of words!  "Unique Stallions" is sheer poetry.  This is folk art of the highest quality.

As I recall, either this building no longer exists, or the signs no longer exist, or both.  When Laura and I make our little expedition to Hatch in a couple of weeks, we'll be sure to check it out.  Stay tuned for our update.