Thursday, November 26, 2009

Tool Shed


This 8x16-foot addition onto my tool shed (which is also 8x16 feet) is my big construction project for this winter.  I was going to do this last winter, but it got pre-empted by the Ark.  I'm designing it to have plenty of shelf space (the original tool shed already has lots of pegboard room), space to lay out my tools, nuts&bolts, pvc fittings, etc. etc.  There will be a row of clerestory windows at the top of the wall on the right side. 

Blog reader Jacques Conejo had this to say:  "That tool shed will be far superior to the shelters that house most of the world's human population."  Interestingly, he sent me that comment YESTERDAY, a full day before I made this tool shed post.  Way to anticipate the future, Jacques!  And while we're talking about the future, how do you think that global warming business is going to turn out?

Jacques is right -- this shed would be considered excellent shelter by most people on this planet, including many Americans.  For human use, I would make it 12x16 and throw in some windows lower down.  This would be adequate for one or even two very frugal people.  A very decent little shelter like this could be built for about $2000 in materials.  The big problem is buying the land the house would sit on.  And dealing with the building code authorities.  America is not set up for frugal housing. 

While we're on the subject of frugal housing, I've never talked about my papercrete website on this blog.  Here's the link:  http://papercretenm.com/ .  You can turn junk mail and old newspapers into papercrete and build a house for a remarkably low cost.  But I think for most people, the big issue would be finding land in a decent location for a reasonable price.  Housing is relatively straightforward compared to playing the real estate game.