Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stories

Sometimes we can be "tuned in" without necessarily knowing it. For example, "The Cards" which I posted last Saturday is the last of the "real" stories. (There are a few short vignettes remaining.) It's an interesting coincidence that commenter Jacques Conejo chose this story to make the request, "Please keep throwing in these stories." It's as if subconsciously he knew that we have reached the end of the line, and didn't want them to stop. I wish there was an endless supply of them, but I only wrote what I wrote.

Sure, I could write more stories; I've still got the mojo. Here's the deal: Somebody offer me a gig on a silver platter and pay me to boot. Then I'll write more stories. This is not likely to happen.

I started up this blog again last fall as an experiment: to see what would happen. The answer: not much. To the extent that I enjoy posting, I post. But even though I enjoy writing, it requires a lot of time and hard work to create a product I'm satisfied with. Posting photos with whimsical little captions is so much easier, and I've got LOTS of great photos (and Laura is adding more all the time). As a matter of fact, I plan to buy a slide scanner so I can post some of the thousands of slides I shot back in the 70s. So we won't be lacking for eye candy on this blog for a long, long time, if ever.

I'm sure I'll spout my opinions from time to time; how could I not? But as far as writing more stories, it's like asking Picasso in his old age to return to his Blue Period. "The pen, having writ, moves on." Or words to that effect.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's unfortunate...

I think it would be interesting to have a little insight into the writing process that produced stories like "The Cards" and the stories about the "Bicyclists".

Saw/heard Salman Rushdie speak last night.... As a person enamoured of writing it was interesting to hear his views on writing and how it works in him...

Think you'd share a little bit (or a lot) on the process for you that produces your writing?

You've been writing a lot for a long time... What's your perspective on that experience? What would you urge or dissuade others to do or believe about the power of the written word?

Jacques

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home