Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Litmus Test

The Obama Era is going to be a humdinger. There will be such a plethora of sound and fury, smoke and mirrors, dogs and ponies, all spinning around in such a crazy cacophony, it will be hard to keep track of what’s really going on. Is fundamental change really happening, or are we being blinded by rhetorical bullshit as usual? (Obama can do a lot of good while leaving the fundamentals unchanged.)

To find our way through this morass, I suggest a simple litmus test: Are taxes for the wealthy going up? If so, then fundamental change is really a possibility. If not, then the parasites are still in control.

There’s already talk about “reassessing entitlements” – Medicare, Social Security, etc. But I haven’t noticed anything about “reassessing tax cuts for the wealthy.” In other words, what about raising taxes on the wealthy rather than making everybody else suffer benefit cuts? Why is this simple concept apparently off the table? Could it be that the wealthy own the entire American political process?

Personally, I would tax the parasites till they bleed, till they turn a whiter shade of pale. Let them pay their fair share for a change. It would be a fair turnaround. They created the mess, now let them pay for it, and pay dearly. But making them pay would be tantamount to revolution, and the aristocracy simply won’t allow revolution to happen. It would have to be imposed upon them. Frankly, I don’t think the American people are capable of such bold action, which is one reason I'm an Obama skeptic at this point. But like I say, I’m always eager to be pleasantly surprised. So c’mon, Obama and the Dems, surprise me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess we'll see huh? I don't think it'll take too long to see the "fundamental" truth.

Jacques

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home