Sunday, December 27, 2009

Attacking the Ivy


Laura flaunts her ivy-killing skills.  On the left side of the picture:  before.  Right side:  after.  Another example of my "if you've got it, flaunt it" philosophy gone awry.  Yeah, I flaunted it alright:  5 different kinds of vines on this one slope alone --  ivy, honeysuckle (2 kinds), silver lace vine, Virginia creeper.  The ivy is too succulent to be much of a fire hazard, but it proved to be highly invasive -- penetrating window screens, electrical boxes, etc.  Looking back, it's obvious that as a child I was deeply affectd by the story of Sleeping Beauty, the part when the briars grew and covered her castle.  I found that a compelling image.  I thought it would be cool to have a little hobbit house covered with vines:  you could walk right up to it and hardly know it was there.  I still think this is a cool idea on a philosophical level, but on a practical level, "live and learn" seems to be the name of the game here.