Monday, July 06, 2009

The Milli Rattler Runner

You New Earth Timesers are a wild bunch! Due to the overwhelming interest in the escapades of She Who Runs with Rattlesnakes and her faithful canine friend Shelah, I ventured forth once again to the Marble Mine Road with my Coolpix camera. This was the day after we had received 1.3 inches of rain, which brings out another snakelike group of Earthhabitants--the millipedes. There are small, medium and large ones. This is a large specimen, about six inches long with a million soft, undulating, non-stop legs. They are very dangerous to attempt to photograph because they are in constant motion and they move fast, making it difficult to get a picture of both front end and back end. They are however, harmless, amusing and tickly to hold.

I am reminded of a song we used to sing to our toddler son many years ago......
"Said the thousand legged worm,
As she began to squirm,
Has anybody seen a leg of mine?
(Leg of mine?)
For if it can't be found,
I shall have to hop around
On the other
Nine hundred ninety nine!"

So that's it for this run up the Marble Mine road. I am sorry to report that I missed the picture of two very large tarantulas (one black, one brown), wrestling. I will respond to private inquiries as to what happened to make me miss that shot.

-- Laura Solberg