Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sonora Wind

May is the month of the Sonora Wind. Earlier in the spring we have cold winds out of the northwest, but the Sonora Wind is a hot wind out of the southwest. If you draw a beeline from Las Cruces in a southwesterly direction, before long you come to the Mexican state of Sonora, which lies immediately south of Arizona. That's why I call it the Sonora Wind.

I have never heard anybody else call it that, even though it's an obvious name, and poetic besides. I did a Google search and came up with nothing. I don't know why this is. Isn't it human nature to notice things and give them names? Hasn't anybody ever noticed how frequently we have hot winds out of the southwest in May? These winds are hard to ignore -- sometimes we have a Sonora Wind every afternoon. You would have thought that somebody would have noticed, and given it a name before now. But evidently not, so I guess it's up to me. But come to think of it, I just did.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jacques Conejo said...

Thank you for your environmental update - it's always genuinely valuable to have someone who pays attention to patterns in our climate and conditions.

It is curious, as you noted, that there hasn't apparently been a moniker applied to those winds...

"Sonora Wind". Yes. That works beautifully... Mystical.

We've managed to introduce to the common lexicon, a term as apt yet awkward as "dechaosification".

"Sonora Wind" should be a breeze.
I really like it.

I feel like I'm already hooked. I think I'll be watching for and aware of it from now on.

Your observations will cause me to pay closer attention to our immediate world.

"Sonora Wind" - I really like that!

Thanks...

Jacques

p.s. "Goat Madonna" great photo - makes ya' curious, begs the question - "Wow, where is she now?" What happens to a "Goat Madonna" from the 70's?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Gordon Solberg said...

"Should be a breeze" ... ha ha!

About Goat Madonna, I asked a friend last year, if anybody would know, it's him. All he knows is that she's married now.

And so our legends fade away, exponentially with time and distance.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Jacques Conejo said...

Hoped you'd get a grin from the "breeze" colloquialism...

And yeah, as with most of us, her fading away will go completely unnoticed but by a very small circle of friends.

So as Walter Cronkite told us every evening - "And that's the way it is."

Jacques

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home