Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Coldframe Excitement


Feel the excitement!  You can almost watch these plants grow.  Laura and I are each having a smoothie a day.  Actually, Laura has at least two, which is why she's more beautiful than I am.  My smoothie consists of tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, and a big handful of these tender, succulent greens -- kale, collards, beets, spinach.  Surprisingly, the leaf lettuce is doing the worst of any of them this year. 



Time to add the extension collars!  This sideways view shows that the greens are already twice as tall as the coldframes, which will make it difficult to cover them on cold winter nights.  Several years ago I built 2x6 extension collars that sit on top of the 2x12 coldframes to add extra height, but this year it looks like I'll need more than that.