Friday, October 30, 2009

Brrrr!

We've had our first hard freeze, which means that winter has officially arrived.  Our first freeze was Tuesday morning, 30 degrees.  This caused little damage, nipping the sweet potato leaves slightly.

Our first hard freeze was yesterday morning, 26 degrees.  I covered the tomatoes and peppers with blankets to protect them.  It looked like they got slightly nipped, but without the blankets they would have been totally killed.

This morning it's 21 degrees, which is more of a midwinter temperature.  I think the tomatoes and peppers are goners.  Later this morning we'll remove the blankets, pick the remaining fruits, chop them up with our Chop Wizard, and freeze them in pint tubs. 

October 29 is a typical time for our first hard freeze, which in our spot can occur anywhere from the middle of October to the middle of November.  I've been writing the freeze date on my calendar for years; someday I'll have to go through my pile of calendars and tabulate the results.