Monday, May 25, 2009

Early Monsoon

The experts have weighed in with their May 21 forecast. They are predicting an early, wet monsoon this year, getting drier as the summer progresses. They are also predicting that the summer will be hotter than normal.

Our recent rainy spell brought us .34" of rain here, though isolated areas (located under intense thunderstorms) got considerably more.

I have a personal, beekeeper-type rule of thumb about all this: can I melt beeswax or not? I have a solar wax melter, and I depend on the hot, clear weather of May and June to process my beeswax from the previous year's late honey harvest. Yesterday I had to abort my wax-melting run -- even though they predicted only a 10% chance of rain, it started raining in the early afternoon, and the cloudiness persisted for several hours, making it impossible to melt wax. Typically, during monsoon season it clouds up during the afternoon, making it more difficult for me to process my beeswax. So as a wax-melting beekeeper, I would say, "sure seems like monsoon weather to me." Of course, you don't really need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows, so to speak.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a theory. The way I see it, the seasons are shifting, each one later in the year. Cold "winter weather" didn't stop until April this year, but it was warm into mid-November last year. When I was a kid, "winter" or at least "fall" would being somewhere in late September and it would get warm in March...I dunno your feelings on this, but that's how I see it.
Much love,
Neil

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Jacques Conejo said...

Again, thanks for your keen attention to the climate conditions that affect us all...

Your long term, close study of the planet we live upon and your perspectives based upon that study comprises a valuable application of the kind of "wisdom" your other blog suggests...

Jacques

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home