Monday, November 17, 2008

Bits & Pieces

Obama, Hope, and Finding Our Way Out of This Mess

I’m doing the final tweaking on my new Grassroots Press article, which has the above title. I’ll be posting it on the blog Wednesday, and the paper edition will be out the first of December. It starts out as one of my typical political rants, but turns all mystical at the end. I’m hoping it will lure many more readers to this blog, and will take my daily blog readership into the double digits.

*

James Howard Kunstler

One of my favorite writers has long been James Howard Kunstler (www.kunstler.com), author of The Long Emergency. I admire anyone who can actually make a living writing about this kind of stuff. He posts a weekly article every Monday morning, which has become part of my Monday morning wake-up routine (if he posts early enough). This week’s article, “In the Reality Lounge,” is especially good. If you’ve ever wondered where I steal my ideas, now you know.

*

Eckhart Tolle

Eckhart Tolle speaks with a German accent, looks like a gnome, has a dweeby personality, and has a delightfully understated sense of humor. He’s become another Millionaire of Mysticism, which I suppose is how the Empire handles these things. My role model has always been Jesus, who owned nothing more than a robe and a pair of sandals, and roamed around the countryside with a motley band of disciples, performing miracles and giving good advice. I’ve raked Tolle over the coals of my bullshit filter, and he’s emerged unsinged – he’s sincere, and his advice is sound. I plan to reread his latest book, A New Earth (after I finish the latest copy of Rolling Stone), and will be passing along choice quotes, of which there are many.

*

Jacques Conejo

How’s it feel being in such august company, Jacques? I just wanted to express my appreciation for Jacques’ steadfast support, positive energy, and incisive comments. A newly relaunched blog like this one is a fragile thing, especially since I don’t yet have a site meter, and don’t know if my readership has hit the double digits yet. So thanks, Jacques! I’m sure many readers of this blog look forward to your daily comment to my daily post. And to the brave souls who are willing to take the risk, you can get the full wallop of Conejo’s risky thinking on his blog, http://www.riskythinkers.blogspot.com . And to answer your question, Jacques, you know, the one about “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin,” the answer is, “it depends.”

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you like Kunstler's blog, have you checked out his weekly podcast?

http://kunstlercast.com

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...... my my.... hmmm.... indeed I find myself referenced by and with some of the greats.....

I'm flattered and my humility is tested. Always the challenge: maintaining true humility, clearly separated from diminished self-esteem.....

Thanks for the kind words Gordon.
You're a great role model. Reading your blog is what motivated me to try my hand. Please keep at it... It just seems to get better and better! Thanks again!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Gordon Solberg said...

Thanks for the tip, Anon, I had always passed over the podcast link and gone straight for the blog. I listened to the one about Obama and found it very interesting. Kunstler always tells it like it is in a concise and entertaining way.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home